Sunday, September 11, 2011

254/111

I will not forget the sight of the thick, black, smoke billowing from the towers or the smell of it in the air. We stood at my parents home, looking across the Hudson river watching the horror of the day and weeks to follow, unfold.

Today, on this 10th anniversary, my town dedicated a memorial. The buildings connected by a piece of steel from the twin towers, the names of each person lost on that day printed on our flag, a small waterfall light in blue, the symbol of all the fallen heroes.

No, I will not forget that day nor the number of people who were killed. But I will, also never forget all of our brave men and women who have given their lives protecting me so that this has not happened again. I am thankful for each and everyone of our military who has fought to keep me, my family and my country out of harms way. God Bless.

3 comments:

Karli @ The Bonnie 5 said...

Oh wow. This is beautiful. I can't believe you were close enough to watch it all unfold. You never forget where you were at a moment like that, do you? I remember being 8 months pregnant with my oldest, working in an office in Ft. Lauderdale. I can't believe it has been 10 years. Beautiful photo.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully said, and a beautiful picture. Did you ever go to sleep last night? I can't believe you went over after we got home!

Melinda said...

Wonderful post- and beautiful shot!