Sunday, November 13, 2011

317/48

When I was a child my Nana would bring my sister and I along on her many journeys into the City. We would take the bus over the bridge and upon our first steps on to 42nd street, she would announce, like it was a surprise, we would be stopping for “coffee and . . .”. Her favorite place was Chock Full of Nuts. We would sit on the shiny metal turning stools at the counter, what a treat. I can still smell the fresh coffee brewing and my mouth waters thinking of the delicious “add”.

After we had rested up from our travel, she would hurry us across the street directly into Macy’s. Macy’s was and still is larger than life. Macy’s home of the real Santa Claus. The Santa Claus who arrives during the Thanksgiving day parade. My heart still races thinking of seeing him sitting on his King like throne. I knew if I told him what was on my list, it was a certain guarantee it would be under the tree on Christmas morning.

When B and I walked past Macy’s and I saw the trees strung with lights and them preparing the windows for the Christmas season, I could not help but have a rush of fond memories. I can see Nana smiling and laughing. I could feel the touch of her hand and I remember her on this her birthday. It’s been near 20 years since her passing and there isn’t a day that goes by I don’t think of her.

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Such a lovely post for your Nana!! Wonderful memories... happy memories. That's the best way to think of her on her birthday!! =)

Anonymous said...

I'm not ready for Christmas. Such a blessing to have such vivid memories. Great post!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story!

Catherine said...

Neat! I like your story behind it!

Kristin said...

Ah, what a wonderful story. My grandfather used to take me into the city when I visited him as a child. We'd ride the train and subway in from New Jersey. He would take me to the Library or to a play, or sometimes we'd just walk around and look at the sights. The first time he took me, I must have been staring up at the sky for an exceptionally long time looking at all the big buildings which I wasn't used to, because he finally told me I'd better close my mouth or I was going to sunburn the roof of it if I wasn't careful! Grandparents are then best!