Thursday, February 10, 2011

41/324

During our visit to Sandy Hook last month to photograph the lighthouse and 1800s Army Base, phriend and I made a quick stop by the Visitor’s Center. As we walked through the door, with cameras and lenses draped around our necks, the Park Ranger inquired as to whether we were there to photograph the migrating birds or Seals. Seals? Who know seals migrated through New Jersey, certainly not I. We ran over to the harbor side of the island it hopes of catching a glimpse of these flippered, whiskered sea mammals. Luck was not on our side and there was not a one.

This past week we made plans to revisit. Our first stop at, what we were told was their favored resting place, we did not see them. Phriend suggested we make seal noises and think “happy thoughts”. All with the hopes this would bring them out from hiding. Sadly all it brought was strange looks from other visitors. We drove to the lighthouse again, watched some snow surfers, and admired the Manhattan skyline. On our way out of the park, we made one more stop to check for the seals and there they were 60 or more lined up in a row, sunning themselves on a sandbar. I was truly amazed, that this migration has been going on for years and I did not know about it. I am glad I do now.

Sandy Hook Lighthouse
Snow Surfing

Harbor Seals

13 comments:

Carlynn said...

I really like the picture of the lighthouse. I've never had the opportunity to see one up close and personal.

Anonymous said...

Haha...I didn't make THAT many seal noises...But obviously it worked!
All great pictures, but I especially love the snow skiier.

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic! I love that lighthouse shot.

Gretchen said...

How very cool! I did not know they passed by NJ either! CRAZY! Great capture! Love the lighthouse picture too!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! I would love to see seals up close! Other than at the zoo, of course. :)

Love your lighthouse photo!

Amanda said...

Your photos are amazing! Brought back some nostalgic feelings for me. I summered in Maine and used to visit Andre the seal every summer and visit the Nubble Lighthouse too!

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

love the lighthouse shot.

Chelsea said...

How amazing! Way to stick with it to capture those seals...sounds like such a fun day! And I just love your lighthouse pics, they are always fantastic!!

Michelle said...

I bet you were glad you went back! What fun to capture so many! They were lined up just waiting for you. :)

Janell said...

very nice, love the panorama shot of the seals!

Photography said...

Another collection :-)

Kara said...

gorgeous shots!

Unknown said...

Makes me miss the time we lived in Oregon - the lighthouses and the seals. AND I've never seen a skier along the coastline. Great shots!