Thursday, May 19, 2011

139/226

This last Saturday was National Migratory Bird day and in celebration I decided to frequent the refuge. Today being the second trip this week. I talked Phriend into joining me on today’s birding adventure. After bragging hearing about and seeing the photo of the Red Tail Hawk I was able to capture during my last visit, we was hoping to see him again. To our delight, he was perched up on a tree branch.

We walked a small trail where we found 100s of Barn Swallows and Purple Martins. What I later learned was Barn Swallows frequently built their nests directly below that of an Osprey and live in a mutualist relationship with them. While the Barn Swallow often fall prey to many other raptures, the Osprey are exclusively fish-eater. Osprey are alerted to the presence of predators by the alarm calls of the swallows.

Pictured Barn Swallow ~

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite picture of yours from tonight- the colors and focus are beautiful!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful picture of a beautiful bird!

Carrie said...

Such a pretty bird. I like the composition of this picture too!

Victoria said...

I'm so late returning your visit of earlier in the week that I'm going to comment on four images in one feel swoop! LOVE the birds... all are lovely... especially the barn swallow (they are so hard to capture when not flitting about) which is absolutely lovely. Enjoyed the story about the robins and hope you will have more opportunity to photograph them as they mature. (don't know the flower, unfortunately)

Amazing that you are posting an image a day... always my intention but I have problems with follow-through as I'm so easily side-tracked.

Janell said...

pretty colors. I'm loving all the bird shots.

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully colored bird. Great shot Trish!

Michelle said...

Great close up, Trish!!!

Gretchen said...

Beautiful bird and interesting info on them! =)

Courtney said...

I really like the perspective on this one! You rarely see a bird shot from above! Very cool!!

Melinda said...

A lovely shot- colors and focus are awesome!

Karin said...

This bird is GORGEOUS! And so is the composition.