Tuesday, May 10, 2011

130/235

I am hoping everyone's Mother's Day was relaxing and wonderful, filled with surprises and surrounded by the love of your children.

Saturday evening my son called to see if I would be home on Mother’s Day, (since we live hours apart, it is best to check first). To my delight he and his girlfriend would be coming to cook me dinner. My thoughts turned to hamburgers on the grill with a side of salad. Wonderful and fairly easy to prepare. This is my son cooking, after all.

Wow! Was I surprised when they started off with a glass of pinot noir which was a great compliment to the cheese/ tomato on a pastry shell. Oh, like eating an air pizza.

For dinner they whipped up one of the most delicious meals I have ever eaten:
Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, cover in cheese and surrounded by a phyllo dough, orzo cooked in chicken stock and brandy, top with parsley, and filet mignon lightly rubbed in garlic, cooked so tender it was like butter, topped with a gorgonzola and corn pepper. For dessert, homemade chocolate cheese cake topped with chocolate ganache and chocolate oreo truffles with a hot cuppa of my favorite Earl Grey.

At what point did this three month premature, pound and half, baby boy turn into this amazing, thoughtful, kind and gentle, ex-Marine who can cook stir and over see while his girlfriend cooks a meal like this.  Sadly, my younger son is across the country but enjoyed the fun via a phone call.  I could not be prouder of my boys. XOXO


11 comments:

Karin said...

This is so sweet. They were both very thoughtful, and you can tell that he has paid close attention to your likes. It's wonderful to be a mom to boys!

This is a great picture of him.

Happy mother's day, Trish!

Chelsea said...

Oh, my goodness. My mouth is watering. What a wonderful surprise. Are there any leftovers??!! ;)

Melinda said...

I love this post! I know just how you feel- it's amazing how they grow from children to adults so quickly! And it's such a joy when they turn out to be adults we actually enjoy spending time with!
Nice portrait as well!
And the meal sounds fabulous!

Anonymous said...

How incredibly sweet was that? Sounds like you had a fabulous day!

Jennifer Thompson said...

So glad you enjoyed your Mothers Day! Sounds like you've raised some great boys.

elizabeth said...

great portrait and so glad you had a wonderful moms day - it happens you know
one day you open your eyes and they are all grown up!!!

Gretchen said...

How wonderful... spectacular sounding meal... and great portrait too! Glad you had a great Mother's Day!!

Anne U @ hot coffee mama said...

This is a great shot, good pose.

Janell said...

Sounds wonderful, how sweet of him! Happy belated mothers day!

Sarah P. said...

This is awesome. I loved hearing how he came into the world...it must everything that much more special for you. Truly amazing.

Unknown said...

Great portrait! How thoughtful to prepare such a delicious meal!