Friday, March 28, 2008

Loud & Noisy Spring!

I have vivid childhood memories of seeing Osprey nests on top of the high wire poles which stretch along the roadways to my favorite beach area. Once these majestic creatures flew high in the skies. With use of pesticides (DDT) these and many other birds’ numbers fell. In 1972, thanks to Rachel Carson and her book “Silent Spring”, this pesticide was banned from use in the United States. Her book documented the harmful effects of pesticides on the environment in general and birds in particular. DDT was found to cause thinner egg shells, reproductive problems and even death. For many years, the Osprey was practically nonexistent in my area. However, I am happy to report with my recent trips to the refuge I have witnessed the comeback of this water plunging raptor.



3 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

I have never seen an Osprey. In fact, I did not even know they existed. Learning something every day :o)
Have a great weekend!

H.A. Turbofire, Sibertarian said...

Those are nice birds!

Janet said...

Yeah, that's good news indeed!