Thursday, December 1, 2011

335/30

Did you watch the tree lighting celebration in NYC?  I did, I do every most years. 
It, along with Santa's arrival during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, are signs the Christmas season is official here, ready or not! 
Last week B and I walked over to Rockefeller Center. 
The tree, under the cover of scaffolding, was in place and ready for it's Christmas dressing. 

One of my all time favorite Christmas commercials is one in which a Grandfather with his small grandson bury a pine cone at the site of the tree. 
A week later they return to see the 100 foot tree standing tall, a glitter in lights, in the exact spot the pine cone was buried.
I haven't seen it in years.

The first, a 20 foot tree, was erected and decorated by construction workers who were working at the center in 1931. 
It was decorated with tin cans and a string of paper garland.  Wow! It's come a long way.

Oh, and are we in the last month of 365?!  Holy soly, did that go fast.
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful colors and light in this night image.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful nighttime shot! See? You don't need the D7000! lol.

I'm mad that I didn't get to see the tree lighting last night- I was at school until 9 :( I usually never miss it too!

Unknown said...

Love this shot! Wish I could have been there.

Ivanhoe said...

I totally watched! I wish it was already lit up last week. But if we went this weekend though, the weather would suck big time. I guess we got lucky :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - such a great shot!

Gretchen said...

Wonderful night colors! I have to admit I almost never watch the lighting... =\