Thursday, January 17, 2008

Numbers:

This is not one of my best or favorite photographs; however, I will explain. B and I have been frequenting this cafe for several years. Though I haven’t counted the visits, one can easily say it has been roughly twice a month for at least 6 years. If my math is correct, that makes over 100 times. Upon arrival, we place our order, are given a number, and take a seat. When our meal is ready, the server seeks out this number and serves us. Curiously, in all of those 100+ visits, we have never been #1. Please don’t misunderstand: I am not one of those people who enjoy attention or have to be the best at everything, but wouldn’t you think that in all those visits, we would have been #1 at least once?

This inspired another thought: when I open a new package of socks or underwear and find the “inspected by #___” paper, it’s also NEVER number one! Now, give this careful consideration: wouldn’t you rather have your new socks or undies inspected by #1 rather than by number #476? With this, I can’t help thinking of the poor soul somewhere (probably as we speak) with his or her underpants and socks now suddenly both lurking at their ankles…the elastic bands and stitching all unraveled. How embarrassing it must be as others pass them and say “Number one must have been off that day, huh?”

No comments: