Monday, January 17, 2011

17/348

February of 2001 ~ I had been wanting and searching for a female yellow lab on Petfinder. I saw several but a beautiful collie caught my attention and tugged at my heart strings. I had, had a collie as a family pet though 14 years of my childhood. She was a wonderful, loyal companion. I decided to go see if this little orphan Annie would fit into my life style and family. When I arrived I found the sweetest dog, who sadly was quite ill.

Disappointed, I turned to leave when I noticed the cutest little dog. I inquired and was told he had only arrived that day. He was a shepherd/beagle mix. I asked if I could see him and I sat down on the floor. Sitting still and quietly, allowing this unfamiliar dog to sniff. All he wanted to do was curl up on my lap and sleep. He had picked me to be his person!

Murphy has been with me for nearly 10 years. I am still not certain of his origin but he certainly is not a shepherd/beagle mix. He is a soft dog, who is easily upset by anything out of the ordinary and behaves more like a cat than a dog. He is my middle child often lost between my older (now gone) family dog, Orlando, and the 13 TSE puppies we have raised since his arrival.

I am often asked, “what kind of dog is that?”, my reply, “he is a good dog.”

ISO 800, f/5, 1/15

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

What a sweet, sweet story! Love the shot. I think mutts make the best doggies!! ;)

Amanda said...

My pup Sydney is a shepherd/beagle mix. Dogs are the greatest!

Anonymous said...

Funny- I always thought he was part husky- either way, he is the best dog- I'm not afraid of him at all. And you really captured his sweet personality with that shot!

Anonymous said...

What a cute pooch. And I love your answer.

Melissa said...

Love the picture and the story. I love your answer to "what kind of dog" that's great! :)

Michelle said...

He does look like a good dog. He tugs at the heart strings...just look at his eyes!

We have a dog that looks just like Willow. I love her to pieces. Your dog photos in your sidebar are great!

Photography said...

Has such a sweet face.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous boy!

Rutalia said...

What a beautiful dog!