Wednesday, February 2, 2011

33/332

Last Friday, while Murphy was out trotting through the trails, he injured his leg. He let out a piecing yelp and hobbling over on three legs. Thinking he may have twisted it on the ice, I thought with some rest he would recover. This was not so.

At the vet’s visit this morning, we were informed his injury is bad, really bad. He tore all of his ligaments and tendons. Basically he blow his knee out. Surgery is needed to repair his leg and at that he will, most likely, never gain full use of his leg. I fear his 11 years of age, will act against him during the surgery, and he may not come through it. Do I take the chance of losing him or do we try to control his pain through a lifetime meds?

After a stressful visit, Murf came home to rest. Willow tried to comfort him.

16 comments:

Janet said...

oh gosh, what a decision ... I hope he'll be ok!

Carlynn said...

Trish~I am so sorry to hear your pup is hurt. I know it is an agonizing decision. We had to make a similar decision several years ago for our black lab. You're in my thoughts.

snapshots2011 said...

I'm sending get well thoughts to Murphy. I wish I knew what to say- but I know you'll make the right choice for him. It's a good thing he has Willow there to comfort him :)

Janell said...

OH my gosh this brought tears to my eyes. Gonna pray for Murphy. Hope things work out.

Kimberly said...

That is such a difficult decision to make. I pray that God will help you make the right one. In the meantime, hang in there.

Chelsea said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that. What a sweet look on Murf's face though. I hope that you can all come to a comforting decision...I know it's a tough one!

Monique said...

Oh no! I hate to hear this about your pup! What a tough and terrible decision to have to make...maybe talk to a few vets to see if there is a consensus about surgery vs. meds?? I'll be thinking and you and Murphy....cyberhugs....

Icy BC said...

We your love and care, I think he will be fine!

Amanda said...

Oh no! Poor puppy! I cannot imagine having to make that decision. Very sweet photo of the two of them, though. Dogs have such an affection for each other. I will pray for you as you face this tough decision.

Melissa said...

Poor Murphy! :( How sad, I have no idea what I would do. Such a difficult decision. I know you'll make the best decision for him though. You and Murphy will be in my thoughts.

Courtney said...

Oh man, this picture breaks me heart!! You can just see the pain on his face :O( I'm sure you will make the right decision for him. Will say a prayer for you all!

Captain Shagrat said...

Poor Murphy hope he makes a swift recovery even if not to the fitness he had before. My Lab Harry is on rimadyl for his joints, not what I'd want to give him but needs must... Hope I see his inquisitive happy Yoda ears soon

Michelle said...

Oh, Poor Murphy! I hate to hear that. What a tough decision to make! :( I don't know what I'd do, but I'll say a prayer that you'll know over the next day or two.

The Clip Cafe said...

Oh the poor darling! And yes what a choice to make xx best wishes with it.

Kara said...

ooh I don't envy this decision. We have been through lots of vet situations in our dogs lives. It is so tough! Prayers for you to make the best decision. I wish I could help. He is 11, maybe wrap and meds? I don't know. uggghhh What about a second opinion?

Trisha said...

What a heartbreaking story. It's amazing how other dogs can sense something is wrong. I really hope you can make a decision abt the surgery. Neither one will be easy. Sorry to hear abt this.